THIS PAGE IS AN ARCHIVE. THIS EVENT HAS ENDED.
PROTECT THE ARTIFACTS
Please donate to the Besser Museum’s Artifact Preservation Fund on Giving Tuesday, November 27th through the Community Foundation for Northeast Michigan. (cfnem.org) The vast collections at the Besser Museum, held in trust for the public and made accessible for the public’s benefit, contain precious keepsakes and priceless artifacts representing the cultural heritage of Northeast Michigan.
The Besser Museum for Northeast Michigan currently houses over 38,000 objects ranging from art (A) to zoological specimens (Z). These items have either been donated to, or purchased specifically for the museum, making each and every item important. For example, once processed into the museum’s collections, that old rusty wrench once used in a lumber camp is no longer just a wrench, it is a Wrench! By taking it into our collections, we have given a promise to protect and maintain that item for the rest of its existence within the museum.
We need your help to ensure that artifacts are housed in the best environment possible for their stability and longevity, so people 100 years from now can experience and learn from our collections. You might ask, “What does it take to ensure that something can last for the next 100 years and beyond?” One of the most basic items needed for artifact preservation is proper housing; like ourselves, objects do better in an environment that protects them from rapid changes in temperature, humidity, and exposure to light.
The materials required for artifact preservation are costly; from the acid-free archival boxes and packing materials that lessen the fluctuations in temperature, humidity, light exposure, vibrations, and pest attraction, to the gloves worn to ensure that salts, oils, and lotions from our hands do not transfer to the object and result in staining, fading, or becoming a beacon for hungry bugs.
Proper protection eliminates the risk of our cultural heritage being lost to the community forever. Your financial gift will provide the resources needed to safeguard our precious keepsakes and priceless artifacts of art, history and science, benefiting future generations for years to come.
The donations made to the Besser Museum’s Artifact Preservation Fund on Giving Tuesday, November 27th through the Community Foundation for Northeast Michigan, will go towards purchasing preservation resources for the collections cared for by the Besser Museum for Northeast Michigan.
You can also donate to the Besser Museum to help with artifact preservation at any time. Whether you would like to set up a legacy gift, make an ongoing pledge or make a single donation, there are multiple giving options. Please contact the Besser Museum to learn how you can make a difference by providing financial support for artifact preservation.
Please mark your calendars for Giving Tuesday, November 27, 2018.
• Your Giving Tuesday donation will help protect over 38,000 objects in the museum’s collections.
• All Giving Tuesday donations will go toward purchasing preservation resources like acid-free archival boxes and packing materials, which create safe environments for precious keepsakes and priceless artifacts.
• Protecting artifacts to preserve the past is a costly and ongoing expense. Please consider setting up a legacy gift, making an ongoing pledge, or a making single donation to the Besser Museum for artifact preservation.
• There are multiple planned giving options: Bequests and Wills, Life Insurance, Retirement Designations (e.g. IRA, 401k and 403), Deferred Gift Annuities, Charitable Remainder Trusts, Life Estate Interest, Cash gifts, and/ or Stocks. For more information on making any of the planned giving options to the Besser Museum, please contact the Community Foundation for Northeast Michigan at 989-354-6881.
• You can make a contribution any time to one of our charitable funds at the Community Foundation for Northeast Michigan:
Make checks payable to CFNEM, and include the fund to which you would like to contribute on the memo line OR donate online at cfnem.org
The Besser Museum is a 501 (c) (3), non-profit, membership corporation stewarded by its own Board of Trustees. The Museum receives no continuing financial support from federal, state, or local governmental entities or millage. Our mission is to collect, preserve, interpret, and exhibit authentic articles & artifacts of art, history, and science to inspire curiosity, foster community pride, and cultivate personal legacy.