Please reload

Recent Posts

Capture of the Infamous Blinky Morgan Gang in Alpena, Michigan

September 1, 2015

Please reload

Featured Posts

Death and Burial of Sheriff Lynch

September 16, 2015

About eleven o’clock Wednesday forenoon last, news was received here that Sheriff Lynch had died at Detroit from the effects of the wound inflicted by the desperado Morgan, at time of his capture, June 28th, 1887.  The dispatch caused genuine regret, and flags in various parts of the city were placed at half-mast.  At his death bed were his wife and son, his sister and her husband the Re. Potter, and J.E. Denton.  On Thursday the remains were escorted to the train by a detachment of Detroit police.


The deceased was a member of Pine Forest Lodge, A.O.U.W., and that society took charge of the funeral.  About train time, Thursday evening, some 80 members of the lodge marched to the depot, received the remains and escorted them to the Court House.  The handsome casket containing the remains, were placed in the hall, in front of the stairway leading to the Court Room, and the lodge, assisted by ladies of Alpena, immediately began the work of decoration, which when competed, was the most beautiful and elaborate floral display ever made here. At the head of the coffin was a broken column, at least seven feet high, composed of evergreens and flowers.  Back of the casket, and towering about it several feet was a pyramid of beautiful flowers, interspersed with evergreens.  The floral offerings also extended several feet from the foot of the casket.  The flowers were tastefully arranged and looked beautiful, reflecting much credit on those who arranged them.  Among the floral offerings were a broken column, sent by P. O’Neil, of Detroit; a magnificent anchor, the offering of the county officials; a beautiful cross, presented by the city police.  A beautiful floral tribute that attracted much attention, had the word “rest” worked in flowers on it.  Two members of the Select Knights, A.O.U.W., in full uniform, were on guard over the remains until the day of the funeral.  The Court House was appropriately decked in mourning by the county officials.


During Friday, Saturday, and Sunday forenoon, the Court House hall was crowded with citizens who had assembled to see the remains and the beautiful floral offerings.  At times there was not room enough in the hall to accommodate the crows of ladies, gentlemen, and children.  As soon as one group had passed by the remains, there was another ready to take their places.  Everyone seemed charmed by the floral display – the free gifts of friends of the deceased.